Monday, March 13, 2017

One Man Can Make A Difference - What Are You Doing?

Pastor Sam Childers, AKA Machine Gun Preacher
This has been one of the hardest articles I have written and I really don't know why. I have written and re-written it. I have changed it, deleted it and started it over and over and just couldn't get it in my mind where it was supposed to go. I knew what I was supposed to say, I just couldn't put it into words until last night. Pastor John Aguilar finally brought it into perspective during his sermon, once again, talking about "What are we doing?" Thank you Pastor for reinforcing my vision.

As a retired police Detective/Investigator, I am, by nature, skeptical. I couldn't decide if the man I was here to listen to was full of bluster and ego or if the myth had overtaken the true man. Or, on some weird chance, could all this be true? I had watched the movie Machine Gun Preacher and had learned as much as possible about him by searching the internet. None of these seemed to answer my questions. The only way I would truly know was to listen to his story as he tells it.

Diane and I try to be at the Church early to help out in anyway we can, especially to those first time visitors. Last night Diane was sick at home and I arrived exceptionally early. This gave me a unique opportunity to meet and speak with Sam, one on one, for quite some time just after I arrived. I didn't know what to expect of him but before I could get a read on this man, he had turned it around on me. I was the one listening and answering his questions as he became the interviewer. He didn't want to talk about himself, but to learn about our Church, the leaders, the founders, and how it had come from being one of the largest nightclubs in the southeast to a church and ministry reaching out to bikers, and others in the community. He wanted to know about me, Leon, the Pastors and the members. It wasn't him just making small talk, he was truly interested. Where was that ego I had been expecting? I did finally get to ask a few questions of him, and yes, he was proud of the work he was doing but there was a matter of fact way he talked of it. No boasting, no swagger, no fanfare. Not the man I had pre-conceived notions of in my mind. He was quick to give the glory to God. His devotion to his mission is all a gift from God. The more I had the opportunity to speak with him, the more intrigued I became by this man who was willing to use himself, and every resource he has, to further the work God has bestowed upon him. As much as I wanted to keep the conversation going I knew I couldn't monopolize his time and I really needed to get into the crowd and visit with our newcomers. That was my only disappointment, that neither or us had more time. The writer in me didn't want to stop my inquiries and I wished there had been more time to get in-depth with him. I also enjoyed the opening he gave me to brag about our Church and it's members. I purchased his book, Another Man's War, to try to gain more personal insight.

I walked throughout the parking lot introducing myself and answering questions from our visitors. I got to meet several more people with interesting testimonies about where the Lord was leading them. I had a wonderful time walking and talking to an assortment of people, some of whom didn't even know our ministry existed before learning of this event. I was amazed at the number of Pastors who had been drawn to the Church for this.

Leon and the Faith Riders Band started the service playing and I watched the crowd as they got lost in the uplifting music. By this time my mind was racing. I was still intrigued by Sam and several others I had met while in the crowd speaking with different people. Another of those people was Pastor Danny Kizer of the Living Gospel Bible Church in Lexington, SC. On top of his pastor duties he spends his time at hospitals in the area as the staff Chaplin. He does this on a volunteer basis, without compensation, ministering to those in need at a particularly trying time in their lives. He explained that his compensation comes from doing God's work. He knew where his God given talents were and knew what God wanted him to do with them. There were other compelling stories people shared with me about how the Lord has worked in their lives. Some being uprooted from family and friends, having moved across the country because God wanted them there. Some, for reasons they still did not know.

As I watched the people in the congregation singing, dancing, clapping, and offering praise I looked at each and wondered what talents God had given to each of them. I believe the good Lord has given us each special talents and we just have to listen and follow his lead to find them. Did they even know they had a special talent God had given them to carry out his work? If so, are they using it as God wanted? I watched as Leon, Allen, Tony, Kathy, Chris, and Pastor John lit up the Church with their musical talents that God has bestowed on each one. Each of them know the talent God has given them and they know how to use it to draw people into the front door of our Church. That gives us the opportunity to Minister to them and keep them coming back. They also use that talent outside the Church to tell the world about the things God has done, and is doing, in their lives.

I looked around and watched our other members and realized just how much talent we really do have in the Church from our musicians, to our Pastors, our ushers, teachers, and too many others to mention. They make this Church function and keep it doing God's work. As I sat there I began to think about myself. What am I doing? What talents do I have that I could be using more effectively? Do I do everything I can, or should?

I do believe everything I did in my past was placed there by God. Although I didn't know it was God leading me, I felt there were things I had to do and I followed along and did them. I'm proud of what I have done in the past and feel I really made a difference in this world and people's lives. I retired from Law Enforcement in 2002. What have I done since? Have I touched anyone? Have I made a difference? What talents do I have to offer now? I felt like my work was done when I retired. What little I've been doing with the church since finding them doesn't feel that I'm pulling my weight. Where am I needed Lord? Lead me and I'll go.

I continued with my mind going ninety miles an hour as the band finished and Pastor Sam Childers started speaking. He started off speaking about his Ministry and what it was doing in Africa and then asked what are we doing? What...is he a mind reader also?

Again I looked around the congregation wondering what are we doing, not only as a church but, individually. Are we using what God has given us to continue his work? Do we reach out and try to touch those who need us? What more can we do?

Last night as I listened to Pastor John he again brought up the subject, "What are we doing?" His sermon told me where to go with this article. I spoke with him after the service and he bolstered my vision of where my talent lies.

What can I do? I can try to reach as many people as possible through my writing and help them look to find where they belong and what talent God has given them.

Where do your individual talents lie? I have no idea. Where can you get the answers you need? Get down on your knees and ask God. Talk to him. Listen to him. He may not answer immediately. He may be taking you in a roundabout way to get where he wants you, as he did with me. As I have said before, without my past, I wouldn't have the testimonies to bring to you. It took 40 years for my eyes to open and see where the Lord was leading me.

It took two sermons for the Lord to smack me and tell me what I needed to write. Thanks to the Machine Gun Preacher, Pastor Sam Childers, and Pastor John Aguilar for helping pound it into my head what to bring to you. I listened, did you?

We have been brought together as a Church to reach out to our community. We have done a good job through the Motorcycle Ministry by getting out into the public as a group and letting them know who we are and what an awesome God we serve. We need to continue this, both as a group, and individually. We can do it. We have Faith on our side and we have shown during the past few months that nothing can stop us when we collectively fight the enemy that moves against us.

We know as what our talents are as a Church. Now let's get down on our knees and find those talents the Lord has given each of us and let them shine to work in his Glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Time To Take A Stand

Did you know that 78% of Americans identify themselves as Christians? Approximately 85% of those polled in South Carolina and Georgia say...